Friday, February 12, 2010

Circle in a square

At the Stitch Club this morning I had it in my head that I would make a circle in a squre out of crochet( my blanket is a bit heavy to carry around). Should be easy I thought, I've seen loads of pictures of this design. Don't think I'll need a pattern...

Well suffice it to say it was much more difficult than I thought to make it lie FLAT.
However after a number of un-doings I did it.



Where there's a will there's a way.

This is my pattern::

Row 1 Make 5 chain and join to make a little circle.

Row 2 Make 3 chain (first 3 chain act as first treble) then 11 trebles into the circle (pink in picture) slip stitch to form circle

Row 3 Make 3 chain (first 3 chain act as first treble) then 1 chain, 1 treble between each treble in previous round (turquoise in picture) slip stitch to form circle

Row 4 Make 3 chain and then 2 trebles in first space from previous round then 1 chain, 3 trebles into next space then 1 chain etc. At end slip stitch to form circle (white in picture)

Row 5 Make 3 chain then 2 treble 3 chain and 3 more treble all into the first space.
In 2nd space 3 treble
In 3rd space 3 treble
In 4th space 3 treble, 3 chain, 3 treble( this makes the corner)
In 5th space 3 treble
In 6th space 3 treble
The 7th space is the same as the 4th
You can see the pattern now…


I’m going to pin mine to my ironing board now , nice and square , and steam it with the iron a bit. That should neaten the shape.

Then I'm going to watch the Winter Olympics and make lots more! How I love all that skating and swooshing down mountains, well I like watching other people do it anyway!!

8 comments:

  1. That looks great Louise - I too am looking forward to the winter olympics - seems funny though I have just seen the news and they are having to ship in snow because there isn't enough! so funny when nearly everywhere else is snowed under!!! Have a great weekend. **Kim**x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Louise,
    Thanks so much for the lovely comment you left on my blog. I am VERY flattered that your daughter likes my interiors, how kind of her! Loving your crocheted square, it looks quite like the ones I'm doing from Yvestown's pattern. Easy and addictive...
    Hen xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks wonderful,for some reason I am struggling learning to crochet...
    Warm Wishes to you in Gibraltar from the UK,
    Cally x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks lovely!! I also love the granny blanket from the previous post!!! Obviously I love the squares from the same post - as they are the same as my own!!! Thank you so much for the lovely comment on my blog - I thought I'd pop over and say hello to you!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That square looks lovely, can't wait to see when it's all finished.

    Hugs RosieP x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh clever you, working the pattern out like that. I do love the circle in a square pattern. Sounds like you are going to have a great weekend. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Louise - the square/circle looks great. I have just tried a couple to send to Mrs Twins. It was a great excuse to experiment

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Louise,
    Great blog here. I love those squares too! I shall have to try the pattern.
    Now I've just sent you an email. Thank you so much !!
    I hope you have had a good Valentines Day!
    Hugs and Love Suex

    ReplyDelete