Sunday, May 9, 2010

African flowers and train rides

I saw that lots of people I know had been making African Flowers from Elizabeth Cat's pattern so I thought well I'll make one, it looks fun. Did you see Kim here making African Flowers? I'm so happy I can do that linking thing now!!
Well... one was okay but I thought it would look better with 4ply wool and a smaller hook....so I went wool shopping...only 5 balls....very reasonable...




So I began to experiment with colour combinations, always keeping white on the outside, and I can't tell you how much I love them. I've been making them watching the election coverage, on the bus, on the train ( more about that in a moment), and watching Avatar this afternoon. I'm possibly the last person in the world to see this film and I'm not a big fan of sci-fi special effects but I admit I was hooked, so hooked I even had to put down an African Flower!

So now I have a lovely pile of African Flowers, no more than 2 the same but all in the same 5 colours.





I can spread them out, or pile them up and play with them for hours. But now I have to decide what to make with them...






I have seen lovely bags at the African Flower flickr group here ( sorry I'm showing off now),A hexagonal cushion would be nice like the one that Karin made...
Maybe a blanket...I do like making them! Please let me know any good ideas.


Yesterday I went to Benojan which is about an hour away on a little train.




We had a lovely lunch in a hotel there, we went with my husband's immediate family, just the 17 of us(!) It was quite a logistic task getting everyone on the train and sat down then off again at the right stop... especially as the group included a baby in a pram and two octagenarians .




However we arrived and had lunch, the sun shone, the flowers were blooming, the stream was crashing over the rocks ( all that rain has had huge effect on normally quiet streams and rivers).



It was a perfectly lovely day.I even managed a few African Flowers on the journey!



Hope your weekend has been lovely too.
Louise xx

11 comments:

  1. Hi Louise

    How lovely your African flowers look, so neat!

    I miss big family gatherings. I remember wonderful gatherings as a child. It's not the same since all my Grandparents and Aunt have gone. We are quite a small family now and spread out throughout England, France and Belgium.

    You look like you are very relaxed and having a great time.

    Take care
    Isabelle x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely family gathering in the gardens. Looks like fun was had by all.
    I, so, want to do some of those African Flowers next. It's like it doesn't matter what color you choice, they just come out stunning.

    Fun Colors,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your African flowers are lovely, can't wait to see what you create with them
    That waterfall is fantastic, what a wonderful place for lunch

    ReplyDelete
  4. Louise, I love your African flowers - the colours are so pretty. Great links (!) - I particularly like the bag someone has made with theirs.

    Your lunch looks wonderful - big relaxy, sunny family lunches are my most favourite thing in the world!

    Hx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had such a lovely, relaxed time!
    Love those flowers!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your African flowers!!! Looks like you had a lovely day out too!!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's good to hear from you again! I tell my friends "well, Louise is working now, so..."
    I'm glad you had a wonderful weekend in such a beautiful place. We have such dreams of eating outdoors but around here the mosquitoes usually have the upper hand. Especially in the evening. It looks like a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those crochet flowers are so pretty, they look very complicated. I can do granny squares, maybe I should try one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Louise, thanks for the link - you did it! You look very relaxed at such a lovely family gathering. It looks so lovely and warm there, its sadly still very chilly here ugh, can't even bring myself to look at my summer clothes yet. I am very impressed you can crochet whilst travelling - I wish I could but it makes me feed queasy! Hope you enjoyed Avatar, I thought it was brilliant and not at all what I expected! **Kim**x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to get my hands on your crocheted flowers and make a garland with them. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely family and looks like everyone had a marvellous time. I love family gatherings and good times. Darlings the African Flowers are gorgeous, I wish I could reach into my screen and pick a few for myself.

    Love & Hugs
    Duchess

    ReplyDelete